Can’t get enough curry? Neither can we. This delicious dish is versatile, tasty, and an inspiration for cooking a wide variety of ingredients. So, what exactly is curry anyways, and why is it so delicious?
Curry refers to a dish of meat or vegetables that is cooked in an Indian/South Asian style sauce and spices, served with rice. The verb “curried” means to prepare or flavor an ingredient, such as “curried prawns.” Curry sauce is known for its combination of spices and herbs that can be mild to extremely spicy. A wet curry is made with sauce that is based from yogurt or coconut milk, while a dry curry is cooked just with the spice mixture.
The dish traditionally comes from South and Southeast Asian cuisines because of the types of spices that grow in these regions. Coriander, cumin, and turmeric are the most common ingredients in traditional curry powders, with many additional spices added for different types of curry or cuisines. A dish that is referred to as “curried” generally includes meat, fish, and/or vegetables that is served over rice. The method of cooking is similar across the board but the ingredients and spices used will vary from place to place.
Curry is one of our house favorites at India Gate—definitely a must-try! Order it vegetarian, with seafood, meat, and as spicy or mild as you want. Here are our options:
- Prawn Vindaloo: prawns and potatoes in a spicy curry sauce
- Prawn Curry: prawns with classic curry sauce
- Fish Coconut Curry: cubes of cod fish in a creamy coconut sauce
- Fish Vindaloo: fish and potatoes in a hot spicy curry sauce
- Fish Curry: cod fish with classic curry
- Prawn Coconut Curry: prawns in creamy coconut sauce
- Lamb Coconut Curry: cubes of boneless lamb in creamy coconut sauce
- Lamb Curry: cubes of boneless lamb cooked in classic curry sauce with spices
- Lamb Vindaloo: cubes of boneless lamb cooked with potatoes in spicy curry sauce
- Ginger Chicken: chicken with ginger and spices in a classic curry sauce
- Chicken Curry: the classic chicken curry
- Chicken Coconut Curry: chicken in a unique combo of coconut creamy sauce and fresh cilantro
- Chicken Vindaloo: chicken and potatoes in a spicy curry sauce
- Jeera Chicken: chicken with cumin seeds and spices in a classic curry sauce
- Mushroom Mutter: mushrooms and green peas cooked in classic curry sauce
- Mutter Paneer: homemade cheese and green peas cooked in classic curry sauce
We look forward to serving you one of our favorite house dishes!